METODOLOGY AND NEW PROSPECTIVES
Processing Applied to Archaeology: S. Massimo Epigraph from Cuma (Abstract)
Cuma had in
the VI Century a decisive metamorphosis, becoming an important castle
round Naples. The destruction by the Napoletans in the 1207 marks the
abandonment of the town and his territory; Cuma will come rediscovery
in the XVII century by the antiquaries and by the travellers of the Grand
The S.Massimo epigraph from Cuma was found "about the year 1930"
in the excavation of the medieval church, dedicated to San Massimo, built
in Pagan temple, on the upper terrace of the Cuma Acropolis. Then it disappeared
until the rediscovery by Raffaele Calvino, that photographed it the 7th
December 1959. The photo and the description of Calvino are today all
that we remain of this epigraph.
In this note we present a digital image processing helping archaeological
research, because the photo results of difficult reading, being the epigraph
illuminated not uniformly and presenting zones out of focus.
The principal purpose of our work has been to render more readable the
epigraph. The improvement is notable. The first two lines of the original
photo of Calvino publicized on "Asprenas" in the 1960 appear
clearer after the operations of extraction of the contours and adjustment
of the contrast. Even if incomplete, the Cuma epigraph has fundamental
importance for the medieval history of the town, because it is the only
archaeological found surely attributable to a medieval building, the church
cathedral of San Massimo.
The final results, with the complete edition of the San Massimo Epigraph
from Cuma, will come presented in a following work.
De Rossi, Pontificio Istituto di Archeologia Cristiana Roma
Giuseppe Schirripa Spagnolo, Dipartimento di Energetica UniversitÓ di